Sunday, February 20, 2011

Zippo

5" x 7"
oil on gessoboard

$100

This is this week's challenge painting. The challenge was created my one of my favorite daily painters Micheal Naples. If you get a chance, go see some of his work - it really is amazing. 

The challenge was to paint the photo provided using only Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White. I really loved this challenge because recently I took black off my palette, which was a BIG step for me. I found that I just didn't need it, it was "drabbing up" my paintings and the richness of the other colors was enough. I also found that when the paintings dried, I was get much more contrast that was wanted. It was for me, a kind of "taking the training wheels off" event and I was o.k.

Here is the challenge page:

No comments:

Post a Comment