Saturday, July 25, 2009

Downtown Dog 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

Downtown Dog 45
8" x 8" 
Oil on panel
Downtown Dog 46
8" x 8" 
Oil on panel
Downtown Dog 47
8" x 8" 
Oil on panel
Downtown Dog 48
8" x 8" 
Oil on panel
Downtown Dog 49
8" x 8" 
Oil on panel
I am almost half way there!

This project has been so rewarding and I've learned so much that I thought I'd share a few tips if you are a painter using oils or thinking about it.

1 - Always clean your brushes with soap and water when you are done with a session of painting - it really preserves the brushes which can get expensive as you know - never leave them sitting in mineral spirits for long periods of time.

2 - It really helps (for me) to paint the painting half way though (lay out the color) then finish it later in the day. Less stress to complete and the oils have enough time to semi dry to complete the painting.
If you've spent a lot of time working on something - walk around, check your email, do dishes or (my fav) take a nap - get a "fresh look" when you come back to the painting. I only work for an average 20 mins at a time.

3 - I like to keep a canvas cloth on my lap to brush off paint or dry the brush - it's really handy.

4 - A palette tray with a cover comes in handy when you are painting every day - it preserves the paint (oil only). Also wax paper is great for a liner in a palette tray. No matter how wet the paint gets it holds up without tearing. Then when it's used up just throw it away.

If I come up with any more I'll let you know.

Well, I'm off to FL for a week - time for me to pack!

One more thing - I am featured on a website called Dog Art Today.
Here is the website:
http://dreamdogsart.typepad.com/

1 comment: