Monday, October 18, 2010

Race Day

16" x 20"
oil on canvas panel

On Saturday I went to see a painting demo by a well know artist, Charles Movalli, who is known for loose, expressive paintings and recently judged the 2010 Oil Painters of America Eastern Region Exhibit, which was held here in Wilmington, NC.

As I watched, I realized I had never seen a painting demo and thought how great it was that this was the first! Movalli was just amazing... I loved his unapologetic attitude towards his art and the audience. His idea is - "I finish the painting when I think it's done and if you don't thinks it's done, it's not my problem." "Paintings are like steaks, some people like them rare, some well done... it's really just a matter of taste."

During the demo he just seemed to have so much fun and it looked more like play than laboring over a master piece and although it looked as though he was playing, he knew exactly what color to put where and when. He had a vast knowledge of technique and color theory. It was genius and it had a huge impression on me. 

I realized I really need to do this more often and I have to take some classes on technique and color theory - there is so much to learn. I have always wanted to take classes, but never got around to it. I now realize that it is crucial to my career as an artist. 

If you ever get a chance to see Movalli, I highly recommend it!
Here are some quotes by him:

"On the face of it, the easiest of all activities should be seeing what we see. In reality, it's the hardest."

"The painterly painter is in the highest state of tension, and the relaxation of this tension signals the finish of the picture."

"It can't look like you've worked hard and long, even if you have. A painting should be done quickly with both your intellect and your nerves. When they give out, stop."
- Charles Movalli 

Here are some of his paintings:


No comments:

Post a Comment