Friday, September 12, 2014

PAINT MY DOG! Series #20

"Ethel"
8" x 10"
oil on canvas
sold

"Ethel, my sweet girl and her story... Ethel was adopted into our home from a local shelter outside of Memphis, TN. She was a mere 8 weeks old when she came home with me and her canine sister, Lucy. Yes, Lucy & Ethel! To say the least, that pair emulated their namesakes. Whatever shenanigans Lucy would get started, Ethel was most assuredly right alongside! For seven years these two were the best of friends, and the best companions for me. 

Ethel, even at nine years old, possess a childlike curiosity for the world around her. In her younger days that inquisitiveness found her in the vet's office several times. She learned the lesson after the fourth spider bite to her face. Between vertigo and vertebrae issues, I have watched this precious dog overcome each one with nary a whine or whimper.

Don't let her size fool you! Ethel may be small but inside that little body is a huge heart. She glances at you with pure compassion, which sometimes it feels greater than that I receive from humans. She has a sense of humor too! She is witty without words, it's as if she has a sense of discernment and knows when I need a laugh. 

In making two moves within the last year (Memphis to DC and DC to Chicago) she has been quite the trooper. Her ability to seamlessly acclimate to each new environment, her constant curiosity, and willingness to tag along wherever I go... She makes my life full beyond words!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment