Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Downtown Dog 68, 69, 70, 71 and a Cat

"Downtown Dog 71"
8" x 8"
Oil on panel
"Downtown Dog 70"
8" x 8"
Oil on panel
"Downtown Dog 69"
8" x 8"
Oil on panel
"Downtown Dog 68"
8" x 8"
Oil on panel
"Luci"
8" x 8"
Oil on panel
I saw the movie "Saraphine" the other night and if you get the chance, see it. It's really incredible story about a woman painter on the verge on insanity and genius. It  made me wonder about the old saying if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it... you know that one... If a painter paints a painting and no one notices, is it art, is it valid and if one person notices and they say it's good and they are respected for their opinions of art, is it good - or is it just the old saying.. "beauty in the eyes of the beholder" and everyone else just follows along. I have noticed that out of all the paintings I have done - I will have some that just are not appealing overall, but that one person will see it and fall in love - they just have to have... kind of like finding a relationship.
Just some rambling thoughts.
On another note, I bought new brushes last night. Good ones. Now I know why I will not waste my money on cheap brushes anymore! A good brush is worth it's weight in gold and now I have seven. It just makes painting so much more enjoyable, on a level that you only see glimpses of with the cruddy brushes. So, if you are an artist, go out today and treat yourself to a good brush.
I did a portrait give away on Facebook a few weeks ago which has generated some commission jobs which I need right now to pay for my fancy brushes. Here is the portrait that I did for Paul Figura of Jacksonville.
I also did an animation of the progress of the painting:
I usually don't work in sections like I did for the cat portrait, but because there were so many patterns in the fur, it seemed to work out well.
Just letting everyone know, I will be at the Farmer's Market this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment