Saturday, July 16, 2011

Paintings, Lake and Film

Lake I
7" x 5"
oil on panel

This is first in a series of paintings at the lake house. I'm going to try to paint one everyday while I'm here. Today was a nice rainy, gray day and the clouds were shifting from dark to light and back again. It was quite beautiful.

Although this has nothing to do with painting, is does have something to do with my art. I have just completed a book cover for author, Nicole Louise Reid, winner of the Burnside Review Fiction Chapbook Competition. You can read more about it here.

Which brings me to my recent epiphany. I have alway struggled with my identity as an artist... "am I a graphic designer or a painter?" Well, I realized the other day, on my journey as being a painter, I was taught graphic design to be a better, more rounded painter. Being a successful artist, you must market yourself and if you aren't going to rely on a gallery to do it for you, you must do it yourself. I would prefer not to rely on a gallery (although, I do love the Woods gallery on Bald Head Island because it's really fun to take trips there) because in my opinion, I feel I can sell my paintings better and reach more of an audience on the world wide internet with my graphic design and marketing skills. It's a little more work, but it fun for me. 

While we are on the subject of reaching more of an audience, somehow through all the marketing, NBC saw my work and has purchased six of my paintings to be in the backdrop of the show "Parenthood" in the fall. SO keep an eye out for paintings. I gotta tell ya, I'm as giddy as a school girl about this!!

Also, a movie that is being filmed now called "Hick" with one of my favorite actresses, Juliette Lewis used two of my paintings. Hopefully the scene won't get cut - keeping fingers crossed. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is wonderful news - I don't watch that show but I will now! I love your work and your musings. You inspire me to get some work of my own out there!

    ReplyDelete