Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pink Lady

7" x 5"
oil on panel

Chumley, my dog's most favorite treat in the whole world is an apple. He absolutely goes crazy for them. I usually give him red delicious, but started to wonder about other varieties. Because we always have apples in the fridge I started enjoying them with meals, in salads and cooking with them and I realized I had only tried one and why? because there are so many types to choose from and I thought, maybe the name "red delicious" just seemed like it would be just red and really delicious, but how was I to know? Maybe there is one out there more delicious. 

So I decided to compare, went to the grocery and bought as many varieties I could find. After apologizing to the checkout girl for having to scan and weight each one, I took them home and tried three at a time. I found they all are so different and wonderful, except for Granny Smith, which is just sour and bitter, Chumley even had a tough time with that one. 

So far, I narrowed the best down to Honey Crisp, Jazz & Pink Lady (Cripps Pink). I'm still trying new ones and if I find a better one than these, I'll let you know. 

By the way, Chumley is REALLY enjoying this experiment. 

3 comments:

  1. LOVED hearing about your apple experiment! I'm from upstate NY...and that is apple country! Love the name Chumley and felt like I was there watching you guys enjoy your apples. And by the way, your apple painting is perfect. Love that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An apple a day...this is a wonderful little painting. We love apples in this household so thanks for the tips on the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely painting! Beautiful technique and colors ---your work is wonderful. Not to mention, I am also quite fond of Honey Crisp apples too... :)

    ReplyDelete