Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"Peace" in progress


16" x 19"
oil on canvas panel

I started this yesterday and at this point it is without color, painted only in burnt umber, later I'm going to layer in the color. I've been reading a book called Alla Prima: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Direct Painting by Al Gury and it talks about this process. I used to only paint in black and white then add some color. So I thought I would try this process and so far I'm really liking the results - I'm not even sure I want color.

I'm hoping to use this painting as a submission in a portrait competition. For some reason this painting reminds me of the beginning of a poem by Sara Teasdale. Here is the whole poem:

Peace flows into me
As the tide to the pool by the shore;
It is mine forevermore,
It ebbs not back like the sea.

I am the pool of blue
That worships the vivid sky;
My hopes were heaven-high,
They are all fulfilled in you.

I am the pool of gold
When sunset burns and dies —
You are my deepening skies,
Give me your stars to hold.

1 comment:

  1. Just as I read the first of the poem the word ah, in recognition of insight filled my head. You are not alone in thinking that the painting mirrors the words of the poem. Well recognized.

    ReplyDelete